Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Cheap and Simple DIY Decor

I really do love the Dollar Store.  It is possibly the best store ever!  You can create so many useful things from items bought from there.  Well after reading through about 4 or 5 blogs that had the same idea of hot glue-ing a couple of crystal pieces together to create some really neat decor items, I decided to try and make my own! 

The first thing I made was a potpourri holder.  I found some really pretty potpourri at Ross for $2.99.  I bought a candlestick holder from the dollar store and I had a glass bowl leftover from the wedding.  So I decided to get the hot glue gun out and get started. 

This is what I used:
potpourriholder1 
The directions are pretty simple.  Hot glue the candlestick holder to the bottom of the glass bowl.  Pour potpourri into the bowl.  Place decor item in desired place around the house.  =)



And here it is my half bath:
014



The other thing that I created was a large candle.  I created it using these items:
candlestick1
The directions are pretty much the same as the other item.  Hot glue the candle (found in the candle section of the dollar store near the other religious candles) inside the glass hurricane.  Hot glue the candlestick holder to the bottom of the glass hurricane.   Place completed item in a special place around your home.  To add a decorative flair, you can add leaves, twine, or other decorative foliage in between the candle and hurricane.

Here is the completed candle in my half bath:
015


I plan to make one more of these and add it to my entry table or on my mantel.  I just haven’t made and haven’t decided exactly where I want it.  I will post pics when I complete it. 

Cost Breakdown:
Glue gun and glue sticks --- I had already.  --- $0
2 Candlestick holders ---- 1 I already had at home. --- $1
1 glass bowl ---  I had already at home. ---$0
1 glass hurricane --- I had already at home --- $0
1 package of potpourri --- $2.99
1 tall candle in glass holder --- $1
For a total of roughly -----  $5 What a steal!

As you can see this a very inexpensive project.  Something else that you can do that is unique is spray paint the glass, that will give it a very unique look as well.

blogsignature

No comments:

Post a Comment